View of the choir arcade and the nave in the background at Rievaulx Abbey
- 1940 - 1948
- Rievaulx Abbey, Rievaulx, Ryedale, North Yorkshire
- Photograph (Negative)
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.
View of the choir arcade with the nave and presbytery in the background. The entrance is to the right of the image, which shows the three storeys of arches along the left side. Low walls of rubble are in the foreground and a figure can be seen walking towards the presbytery. The abbey is situated on the east bank of the River Rye and is one of the earliest outposts of the Cistercian Order in the north of England. The older sections of the abbey are thought to have been built between 1140-1150. The abbey differs from most of its kind because the position of the monastic buildings lie north to south, instead of the usual east to west, and the usual simplicity of Cistercian buildings has been replaced with extravagant Gothic architecture. The site is now owned and managed by English Heritage.
© Historic England Archive
Photographer: Booty, E M
Medieval Cistercian Abbey