View of the nave and choir from inside the ruins at Rievaulx Abbey
- 1940 - 1948
- Rievaulx Abbey, Rievaulx, Ryedale, North Yorkshire
- Photograph (Negative)
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.
View of the cnave and choir taken from inside the ruins, with low rubble walls in the foreground and a clean line of sight to the end of the nave. In he centre of the image is a huge arched entrance through to the nave which is flanked on either side by columns and three storeys of arches. Further outwards from these are sections of walls with three storeys, the uppermost of which has brick of a different colour. At the very end is a small pyramidical top which is slightly higher than the rest of the wall, but this is only seen on the left side, as the right has been damaged. The abbey is one of the ealiest outposts of the Cistercian Order in the north of England, and it is thought that the earliest sections of the site were built betweet 1140-1150, including the nave. The abbey differs from most buildings of its kind as it lies north to south, rather than east to west. The site is owned and managed by English Heritage.
© Historic England Archive
Photographer: Booty, E M
Medieval Cistercian Abbey