The interior of Wigmore Hall showing the staircase leading to the gallery
- Mar 1964
- Wigmore Hall, 36-40 Wigmore Street, Marylebone, City Of Westminster, Greater London Authority, W1
- Photograph (Negative)
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.
Wigmore Hall was built for the German pianoforte manufacturers Bechstein whose showroom adjoined the hall. When it opened in 1901 it was known as the Bechstein Hall, but following the outbreak of the First World War Bechstein's British property was taken over by the government. It was auctioned in 1916 and reopened as the Wigmore Hall in 1917.
This is part of the Job: 95/02482 Wigmore Hall; within the Sub Series: RCH01/002/045 RCHME Architectural Requests: Greater London Authority; within the Series: RCH01/002 Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England: Architectural Requests; within the Collection: RCH01 Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England (RCHME) Archive
Source: Historic England Archive
Staircase, Edwardian Concert Hall