General view of Holloway Prison from the west

Date:
1851 - 1855
Location:
Hmp Holloway, Parkhurst Road, Islington, Greater London Authority, N7
Reference:
BB67/08240
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Description

Holloway Prison was built in 1849-51 by J B Bunning, who copied the gatehouse from Warwick Castle. It became a women's prison in 1902. A rebuilding programme began in the 1970s. This image appears on page 203 of 'Historic Views of London'.

Content

This is part of the Series: BHL01/01 Historic Views of London; within the Collection: BHL01 B E C Howarth-Loomes

Rights

Source: Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Collector: Howarth-Loomes, Bernard E C

Keywords

Victorian Prison

Back
to top