The broad face of a complete carved Anglo Saxon cross-head

Date:
May 1928
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
BB68/05309
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Description

The cross-head was discovered in 1891 when the foundations of the Norman chapter house were dug up. It is now housed in the Monks' Dormitory, Durham cathedral. A narrow edge is shown in OP06424. In the centre is a baptism scene. The cross arms have pairs of frontal figures.

Archival History

Accesssioned 5 July 1968.

Content

This is part of the Series: BCC01/01 Negatives in the Red Box Collection; within the Collection: BCC01 Clayton, Brian C

Rights

Source: Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Clayton, Brian Charles

Keywords

Anglo Saxon Architecture, Stone Carving, Medieval Anglican Cathedral, Medieval Cross, Medieval Cathedral

Back
to top