General view of the Metropolitan Tabernacle, Elephant and Castle, from the south-east

Date:
1870 - 1892
Location:
Metropolitan Tabernacle, Newington Butts, Newington, Southwark, Greater London Authority, SE11
Reference:
BB69/05672B
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Description

The Metropolitan Tabernacle was built as a preaching hall for the Baptist preacher Charles Haddon Spurgeon in the mid 19th century. It was badly damaged by fire in 1898 and was rebuilt behind the Victorian facade after bomb damage during the Second World War. This image appears on page 115 of 'Historic Views of London'.

Content

This is part of the Series: BHL01/01 Historic Views of London; within the Collection: BHL01 B E C Howarth-Loomes

Rights

Source: Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Collector: Howarth-Loomes, Bernard E C

Keywords

Victorian Baptist Chapel

Back
to top