The west end of the derelict St Matthew's Church viewed from the churchyard

Date:
Mar 1971
Location:
St Matthew's Church, Wakefield Road, Lighcliffe, Calderdale
Reference:
BB71/03501
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Description

St Matthew’s Church was built in 1775 but stood on the site of an earlier chapel of ease. After the newer St Matthew’s Church was built to the west in 1874, it was used as a mortuary chapel. Storm damage occurred in the 1960s and the building became derelict. The main body of the church was demolished in the 1970s or 1980s, but the tower remains standing.

Content

This is part of the Job: 05/01514 St Matthew's Church, Wakefield Road, Lightcliffe; within the Sub Series: RCH01/002/013 RCHME Architectural Requests: Calderdale; within the Series: RCH01/002 Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England: Architectural Requests; within the Collection: RCH01 Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England (RCHME) Archive

Rights

© Crown Copyright. Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Bassham, Cyril John: Royal Commission On The Historical Monuments Of England

Keywords

Georgian Church

Back
to top