A view of Frognal House, taken from the south, showing the large oak tree in the garden and the orangery to the east of the house

Date:
19 Jan 1929
Location:
Frognal House, Frognal Avenue, Sidcup, Bexley, Greater London Authority
Reference:
BB71/08714
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Description

The photographer's notes state: 'General view of the house (S.W. & S.E. fronts) the large oak at the intersection of the two terraces and the orangery from S'.

Frognal House was a large country house that has once been the seat of the Viscounts Sydney. In 1917 it became the site of the new Queen Mary’s Hospital, a centre for pioneering plastic surgery. The house was then used for many years as administrative offices but is now a retirement home.

Content

This is part of the Series: PEW01/01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection, Negatives; within the Collection: PEW01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills

Keywords

Post Medieval Country House, 20th Century Hospital, Post Medieval Orangery

Back
to top