The south-east front of Frognal House viewed from the path on the south side of the garden

Date:
17 Jun 1929
Location:
Frognal House, Frognal Avenue, Sidcup, Bexley, Greater London Authority
Reference:
BB71/08717
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Description

The photographer's notes state: 'Distant view of the house (S.E. front), oak, lawn and orangery from S.E. Tulip tree (the high one) on extreme right'. Early morning in the summer'.

Frognal House is a large country house which was once the seat of the Viscounts Sydney. In 1917 it became the site of the new Queen’s Hospital (later Queen Mary’s Hospital), a centre for pioneering plastic surgery. The house was later used for many years as administrative offices but is now a retirement home.

Content

This is part of the Series: PEW01/01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection, Negatives; within the Collection: PEW01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills

Keywords

Post Medieval Country House, 20th Century Hospital

Back
to top