Exterior view of Foots Cray Place, taken from the north-west
- 6 Jun 1928
- Foots Cray Place, Bexley Lane, Foots Cray, Bexley, Greater London Authority
- Photograph (Negative)
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.
The photographer's notes state: 'Entrance front from N. W. evening'.
Foots Cray Place, as it appears in this photograph, was built in the mid-18th century and was modelled on a villa designed by Andrea Palladio. In the 20th century it was owned by Lord Waring and during the Second World War it was occupied by the Royal Navy. After the war it was intended to become a museum but on 18th October 1949 it caught fire, and due to the damage caused, was subsequently demolished. The grounds of the house now form part of Foots Cray Meadows.
© Historic England Archive
Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills
Palladianism, Dome, Portico, Georgian House