A view looking up the garden steps towards the south-east front of Foots Cray Place
- 11 Jun 1928
- Foots Cray Place, Foots Cray, Sidcup, Bexley, Greater London Authority, DA14
- Photograph (Negative)
The photographer's notes state: 'Garden front from S.E. Early morning'.
Foots Cray Place, as it appears in this photograph, was built in the mid-18th century and was modelled on a villa designed by Andrea Palladio. In the 20th century it was owned by Lord Waring and during the Second World War it was occupied by the Royal Navy. After the war it was intended to become a museum but on 18th October 1949 it caught fire, and due to the damage caused, was subsequently demolished. The grounds of the house now form part of Foots Cray Meadows.
© Historic England Archive
Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills
Palladianism, Dome, Portico, Garden Steps, Georgian House