Looking across the gallery on first floor of the octagonal hall at Foots Cray Place
- 6 Jun 1928
- Foots Cray Place, Bexley Lane, Foots Cray, Bexley, Greater London Authority
- Photograph (Negative)
The photographer's notes state: 'Octagon. Gallery and lower part of the dome'.
Foots Cray Place was a large 18th century house, modelled on an Italian villa designed by Andrea Palladio. At the time this photograph was taken the house belonged to Lord Waring but during the Second World War it was occupied by the Royal Navy. After the war it was bought by the Kent Education Committee who hoped to turn it into a museum, however, after being extensively damaged in a fire in 1949, it was demolished in 1950. The gardens and grounds of the house are now part of Foots Cray Meadows.
© Historic England Archive
Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills