A view looking south along a corridor in the basement of Foots Cray Place
- 12 Jun 1928
- Foots Cray Place, Bexley Lane, Foots Cray, Bexley, Greater London Authority
- Photograph (Negative)
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.
The photographer's notes state: 'The basement looking south'.
Foots Cray Place was a large 18th century house, modelled on an Italian villa designed by Andrea Palladio. At the time this photograph was taken the house belonged to Lord Waring but during the Second World War it was occupied by the Royal Navy. After the war it was bought by the Kent Education Committee who hoped to turn it into a museum, however, after being extensively damaged in a fire in 1949, it was demolished in 1950. The gardens and grounds of the house are now part of Foots Cray Meadows.
© Historic England Archive
Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills
Basement, Georgian House