A view showing 123, 125 and 127 High Street from the north-west, with a car parked in Blacksmith's Lane to the north

Date:
31 Mar 1937
Location:
123-127 High Street, St Mary Cray, Bromley, Greater London Authority, BR5
Reference:
BB71/09114
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Description

The photographer's notes state: 'The road from Crockenhill (Blacksmith's Lane) coming down into the High St on left. The sheds up the former yard on its right (south) not old. Immediately to the right of the lamp signpost is the corner house No 123, beyond it is the small block having a shop, Nos 125 & 127, and on the extreme right is a portion of No 129. East side High St. From N.W. The old blacksmith's forge, which was at the actual corner and adjoined No 123 on north, was demolished about 25 years before'.

There is an additional note stating: 'No 123 was destroyed by enemy action April 16. 1941 and Nos 125 & 127 were very badly damaged. Only their ground-floor shops remained. These were later repaired and roofed'.

The buildings have since been demolished and the site is now Forgefield Court.

Content

This is part of the Series: PEW01/01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection, Negatives; within the Collection: PEW01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills

Keywords

Post Medieval House, 20th Century Shop

Back
to top