Looking south along the River Cray from the footbridge opposite the west end of Blacksmith's Lane showing the gardens of the houses on the west side of the High Street leading down to the water's edge

Date:
12 Apr 1938
Location:
134-138 High Street, St Mary Cray, Bromley, Greater London Authority, BR5
Reference:
BB71/09131
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Description

The photographer's notes state: 'Looking south up the river Cray from the wooden footbridge which carries the footpath from "Little Essex" to the High Street. The backs of Nos 134, 136 & 138 (block on extreme left) and Nos 140, 142, 144 & 146 (the next block) west side High Street. Both these blocks form part of "Providence Place". The cross surmounted belfry of St Joseph's R. C. Church (east side High Street) can just be seen'.

There is also an additional note stating: 'St Joseph's R. C. Church was destroyed on April 16. 1941. So were also Nos 140, 142, 144 & 146'.

Content

This is part of the Series: PEW01/01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection, Negatives; within the Collection: PEW01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills

Back
to top