A view looking east across the waste ground to the west of the River Cray
- 7 Apr 1938
- 124-138 High Street, St Mary Cray, Bromley, Greater London Authority, BR5
- Photograph (Negative)
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.
The photographer's notes state: 'View of more backs on west side of High Street. In the centre can be seen the southerly half of the low block of Nos 124, 126, 128 & 130. Adjoining it on R. is the higher blocks of Nos 132, 134, 136 & 138 (part of Providence Place). At back of this can be seen the top of the high block Nos 129 & 131 on east side. In the foreground on R. is "Little Essex" . At the back on the left is the Vicarage. The distant trees are to the south of Blacksmith's Lane on the way to Kevington Park. A little way behind the near trees on the left is the point at which the river Cray comes forward westwards for a little way after running northwards behind "Little Essex" and then along and near the above blocks. To the left of "Little Essex" is its well kept garden (hidden by shrubs)'.
Little Essex was gutted by enemy action in 1940 and demolished the following summer.
© Historic England Archive
Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills