A view of a pile of timbers in the rickyard at Poverest Farm after they had been removed from the farmhouse at Manor Farm

Date:
7 Mar 1936
Location:
Poverest Farm, Orpington, Bromley, Greater London Authority, BR5
Reference:
BB71/09205
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Description

The photographer's notes state: 'In the immediate foreground on left is the upper end broken away portion of the pier part, E. face, of the S. side of the great central principal of the Great Hall (See No 852). On the right is a small ogee arched timber, that doubtless formed the top of a doorway in the wall between the W. wing and the entrance hall part of 1st floor (see Nos 865-7)'. [No 852 refers to BB71/0902 and Nos 865-7 refers to BB71/09215-217]

There is also an additional note stating: 'In the rickyard at Poverest near St Mary Cray'.

The farmhouse at Manor Farm was located on the east side of the Orpington Bypass (now Cray Avenue), just to the south of the railway line. It was demolished between January and February 1936.

Content

This is part of the Series: PEW01/01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection, Negatives; within the Collection: PEW01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills

Back
to top