A view showing some of the damaged timbers which had been removed from the farmhouse at Manor Farm lying in piles at Poverest Farm

Date:
9 Mar 1936
Location:
Poverest Farm, Orpington, Bromley, Greater London Authority, BR5
Reference:
BB71/09207
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Description

The photographer's notes state: 'East portion (broken in fall of the house) of the S. wall-plate of the Great Hall in the foreground (see No 843). Its east end is just out of the picture. Just behind it is the entrance hall part principal (upside down). Beyond is the back of the pier and arch, that formed the south side of the great central principal of the Great Hall. Tenon at top (on left) of arch fitted into the principal itself (upper part). (See Nos 852-854)'. [no 843 refers to BB71/09159 and Nos 852-854 refers to BB71/09202-04]

There is also an additional note stating: 'In the rickyard at Poverest near St Mary Cray'.

The farmhouse at Manor Farm was located on the east side of the Orpington Bypass (now Cray Avenue), just to the south of the railway line. It was demolished between January and February 1936.

Content

This is part of the Series: PEW01/01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection, Negatives; within the Collection: PEW01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills

Back
to top