The wooden balustrade on the first floor landing of Oak Cottage on Crockenhill Road
- 19 Jul 1938
- Photograph (Negative)
The photographer's notes state: 'Easterly dwelling. Balustrade at the top of the staircase from the landing, looking west. The wall on right is a portion of the former east wall of the Great Hall'.
The building was originally a 17th century, timber framed Wealden house but the ground floor has since been rebuilt in brick. By the 20th century it had been divided into two cottages. The cottages are now named 1 Kevington Cottages (on the west side of the building) and Oak Cottage (on the east). It is unclear, however, whether the two cottages had been named as such at the time the photograph was taken, or whether that happened later.
© Historic England Archive
Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills
Balustrade, Post Medieval Wealden House, Post Medieval House