The octagonal stone font and wooden font cover in the south-west corner of the nave at All Saints' Church

Date:
15 Jun 1935
Location:
All Saints Church, Orpington, Bromley, Greater London Authority, BR6
Reference:
BB71/09614
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Description

The photographer's notes state: 'The parish church. The nave. Font in the S.W. angle'.

The font dates from the late 12th or early 13th century but the font cover is later and dates from the 15th century.

In 1957-8 All Saints' Church was extended with the construction of a large new building on the south side. The extension included a new church meaning the old nave and chancel then became an ante chapel and chapel. With the new additions, the orientation of the church changed to a north-south direction.

One of the prints has been cropped and shows only part of the image.

Content

This is part of the Series: PEW01/01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection, Negatives; within the Collection: PEW01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills

Keywords

Font, Medieval Parish Church

Back
to top