A photograph of boulders in the sand banks in the quarry. The stone quarry was first recorded in 1396-7 and supplied building stone to Oxford until the middle of the 18th century.

Date:
May 1918
Location:
Headington Quarry, Headington Quarry, Oxford, Oxford, Oxfordshire
Reference:
BB73/00141
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Archival History

Negative originally incorrectly attributed to Frederick Ault. Taunt register, volume 6, page 72 has a marginal entry which states 'Our plates' from 18193 to 18299, but this was apparently missed during the initial indexing of the collection. Like entries in the earlier volumes, which are for Taunt's own photographs, those after the comment are fuller than the rather abbreviated notes for the Ault material.

Content

This is part of the Series: HWT01/01 Glass plate negatives and inkjet prints; within the Collection: HWT01 Henry W Taunt collection

Rights

Source: Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Taunt, Henry W

Holder of Original Archive: National Monuments Record

Curator: Gordon, John

Keywords

Quarry, Geology

Back
to top