The inscription on the plaque reads: 'Watchtower and Old Quay. Erected about 1730, the Watchtower was used for general surveillance of sailing vessels in the harbour. The Old Quay was the port's first pier, of late seventeenth century foundation, with historic associations including the John Paul Jones raid in 1778 - the last invasion of England. Whitehaven Civic Society 1971.
This is part of the Job: 2K/10909 Whitehaven, Cumbria; within the Volume: BF111797 Heritage of Coastal Towns Project; within the Series: EHC01/124 Heritage of Coastal Towns Project; within the Collection: EHC01 English Heritage(EH):Archive
© Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Photographer: Williams, Peter
20th Century Plaque, Post Medieval Quay