The architect Joseph Lea Gleave (1907-1965) won an international competition in 1931 for a monument to Christopher Columbus in the Dominican Republic.
In 1932 he was appointed senior assistant at the School of Architecture at Edinburgh College of Art, quickly followed by promotion to head of the School of Architecture and Town Planning in 1935. War service disrupted this period as Head of School but on his return to the School he had redesigned the Columbus Memorial in 1946-47. Foundations were inaugurated in 1948 but it was not unti1986 that construction got under way with the monument being finished in 1992.
Source: Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Photographer: Harker, Margaret F
Mid 20th Century Model, Lighthouse