General view of Wolferton signal box and attached estate cottages from the east

Date:
20 Nov 1985
Location:
Wolferton Signal Box, Station Road, Sandringham, Wolferton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk
Reference:
IMP01/01/1060
Type:
Photograph (Transparency)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Originally built in 1862 the signal box was moved to allow for widening of the track in 1898 to its present position attached to a pair of existing estate cottages.

Wolferton Station opened in 1862, in the same year the Prince of Wales bought the nearby Sandringham Estate, so the station saw a great deal of royal traffic; 645 royal trains in the first 27 years it was open. In 1898 the station was rebuilt to include a suite of royal reception rooms. The station buildings were put up for sale in three lots in 1967 with the closure of the station in 1969 and removal of the track in 1970. Parts of the station opened as a museum in 1970.

Content

This is part of the Series: IMP01/01 Ian M Parsons Slide Collection - English, Welsh and Scottish Locations; within the Collection: IMP01 Ian M Parsons Slide Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Parsons, Ian Mesnard

Keywords

Victorian Signal Box, Victorian Railway Station, Rail Transport