This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL11NW HYDE LOWER HARPENDEN ROAD (North, off) East Hyde
967/44/10030 Wernher Mausoleum to north of Holy Trinity Church
Mausoleum. c1912. Erected by the Wernher fanifly of Luton Hoo to commemorate Sir Julius Wernher (d. 21/5/1912). Rectangular monument of ashlar limestone, built in the form of a chantry chapel in the Decorated Gothic style, and containing a sarcophagus bound with metal straps. Each side is comprised of 3 steeply-pitched gabled panels, with crockets and finials, framing cusped openings sealed by iron grilles. At the corners are canopied niches containing statuary. The principal inscription at the south end reads 'To the dear and revered memory of Sir Julius Wernher, Baronet, born April 9th, 1850, died May 21st 1912. The family vault of Sir Julius Wernher, Bart.' There are short inscriptions to other family members.
Listing NGR: TL1280217378
Copyright IoE Mr Alan Whitcroft. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Whitcroft, Alan
Rights Holder: Whitcroft, Alan
Ashlar, Limestone, Victorian Sarcophagus, 20th Century Religious Ritual And Funerary, Coffin, Funerary Site, Mausoleum