This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WISTASTON C.P. CHURCH LANE SJ 65 SE 8/105 Church of St Mary the Virgin. (Formerly listed as Church of 12.1.67 St Mary)
Church, dated R.P.1827 on inscribed brick, by George Latham of Northwich with additions and alterations of 1884 and 1905. Red Flemish bond brick with a slate roof. Western tower, nave and chancel. Astylar Tower of three stages and of square plan. Western face: stone plinth common to whole building. Slightly projecting door surround with stone surrounded pedimental top. C19 double doors with fanlight over. Abutting the door surround is a -glazed barrel-vaulted walkway connecting the church with the parish hall of 1905. (Neither the walkway nor the hall are listed). Stone band above, Square window to the ringing chamber of 3 x 2 panes with a stone sill. Stone band above this below the belfry stage which has an arched window set in a relieving arch with a stone band at the level of the springing.
Cyma-moulded string course above this below the level of the parapet which has stone corner piers with obelisk finials. The North and South sides have quarter-circular projections joining them with the western end of the nave at the level of the lowest stage. These each have one-quarter conical roofs. Above this both sides are similar to the western face save that the window of the bell chamber is replaced by a circular stone clock face with a moulded edge. Nave: North face; four round-arched windows with stone sills and a central stone panel which is rectangular and blank. Similar to south side but with a projecting lower transept to right hand bay of 1882 in similar style to the earlier building and with 2 round-arched windows to the west and one to the east and southern sides. Hipped roof. The vestry which has a keyed oculus window adjoins the east side and also the chancel which was rebuilt and extended in 1882 and has one southern and two northern windows and three eastern lights all of round arched form and all having panelled ashlar surrounds. The eastern gable end has a gable in the form of an open pediment.
Interior: The nave ceiling has 3 Panels, the central one being octagonal with a large rosette to the centre bordered with anthemia.
The chancel screen is richly moulded and has an inscription - TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF EDWARD DELVES BROUGHTON DIED OCTOBER 6th 1889. Oak panelling to chancel with oval sunflowers to the upper panels and Agnus Dei and Alpha and Omega signs to the reredos. The right hand chancel window is to a design of Burne-Jones and was made by William Morris and Co.
Source: Nikolaus Pevsner - The Buildings of England : Cheshire and Edward Hubbard
Listing NGR: SJ6813053625
Copyright IoE Mrs AC Ward. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Ward, Ac
Rights Holder: Ward, Ac
Brick, Slate, Stone, Georgian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument