This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BOVEY TRACEY TOWN HALL PLACE, Bovey Tracey SX 8178
11/91 Cross incorporated in war - memorial, about 2 metres from south-west corner of Town Hall GV II
Cross-shaft and socket-stone incorporated in memorial to dead of 1914 - 18 and 1939 - 45 Wars. Medieval. Granite. Large, well-cut rectangular socket-stone with big moulded convex stops at each corner stands on a high C20 plinth of granite and metal. Upon the socket-stone stands a tapering octagonal shaft with square base having a convex stop at each corner. Cross-head C20. Formerly the market cross and close to its original position. Source: E Masson Phillips in Transactions of Devonshire Association, 1937, p.323.
Listing NGR: SX8171178568
Copyright IoE Mr M J Medley. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Medley, M J
Rights Holder: Medley, M J
Granite, Medieval Cross, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Commemorative Monument, Commemorative