This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BOVEY TRACEY STATION ROAD, Bovey Tracey SX 8178
11/86 Standard Telephone and Cables - (Formerly listed as The Old MIll) 23.8.55 GV II
Telephone and cable works, formerly the stables of Bridge House, which is now the Riverside Inn. Built 1854. Granite and slatestone rubble with red and yellow brick dressings. Slated roofs with clay ridge-tiles. Built round 4 sides of a courtyard.
2 storeys, except for single-storey north-east range. 8-window south-west front abutting River Bovey, the window at each end set under the gable end of the side- range. Third bay from right develops into a square tower of 2 storeys with a pyramidal slated roof. At its foot is a large iron water-wheel (rebuilt in 1955), the purpose of which was to draw water up the tower to provide a supply for Bridge House. Windows all have jambs and segmental arches of red brick except for the tower bay which has round-headed windows in second storey and is lower stage of the tower. Upper stage (probably rebuilt) is of yellow brick and has 3 C20 windows in each face; an old photograph shows openings without windows. All the other windows have 2-light wood casements of 8 panes per leaf, except for the 2 round-headed windows which have 3 panes per light; the lower of the latter windows has wood boards in its head, while the upper is glazed with radial bars. The front to Fore Street has a wide segmental-headed cart entrance to left, with jambs and arch of red brick. To right, in second storey, are 2 segmental-headed windows; also with jambs and arches of red brick; each has a 2-light wood casement with 8 panes per light.
Interior not inspected. The building is said to have been saved from demolition in the 1950s by public subscription. It forms an important group with Bovey Bridge (q.v.) and Riverside Inn (q.v.).
Sources: L Tregoning, Bovey Tracey, 1983, p.45. Photographs in National Monuments Record, including 1962 cutting from Country Life.
Listing NGR: SX8147278221
This is part of the Series: IOE\Medley_M J IOE Records for Medley, M J; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Mr M J Medley. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Medley, M J
Rights Holder: Medley, M J
Granite, Slate, Stone, Victorian Stable, Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport, Telecommunication Building, Communications, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Works, Industrial, Industrial Building, Telephone Exchange