This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BOVEY TRACEY ASHBURTON ROAD, Bovey Tracey SX 87 NW
5/36 St Marys -
Church Army Home, formerly a country house. Circa 1860 with minor C20 additions.
Squared stone rubble. Red-tiled roofs with decorative ridge-tiles. Stone chimneystacks with moulded weatherings and caps, asymmetrically disposed. Large rectangular building consisting basically of 2 parallel ranges with entrance porch in centre of north side and chapel adjoining it on west. C20 additions on south side. 2 storeys and garret; chapel and C20 additions single-storeyed. Designed in a High Victorian Gothic style with many pointed arches and gables, but few mouldings. Best front (facing west) has large projecting gable with canted bay window to right; another canted bay window with hipped roof to left. Small doorway with shouldered arch in centre, having above it a large 3-light stair window, the bases of the lights stepped to match the going of the stair. Window lights have stone transoms and pointed arches, all but the stair windows having tiny balls in the spandrels. Formerly the country house of 2nd Lord Halifax. Source: A Hargreaves, Bovey Tracey, 1968, p.76.
Listing NGR: SX8131177734
Copyright IoE Mr M J Medley. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Medley, M J
Rights Holder: Medley, M J
Rubble, Stone, Tile, Victorian Counting House, Domestic, House, Dwelling, Church Army House, Religious Ritual And Funerary