This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BOVEY TRACEY ASHBURTON ROAD, Bovey Tracey SX 87 NW
5/35 Church of St John the - Evangelist
Parish church. 1851-3 by R C Carpenter, architect. Squared rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Red-tiles roof with crested ridge. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch, vestry, church hall. Aisle and chancel windows have 2- centred arches and are of 2-lights with a version of Geometrical tracery. East window has 2-centred arch and 3 ogee-headed lights with a kind of rose motif above.
West gable has a central projection flanked in its lower stage by buttresses. The narrower upper stage contains a window similar to those in aisles and chancel, and rises high above the roofline to carry a gabled bell-turret; the latter has 2 bells hung in a pair of open-pointed arched. Aisles and chancel have angle-buttresses.
Gabled south porch has double-chamfered doorway with pointed arch; small trefoil- shaped window above and cross on the apex of gable. On the north side of the chancel a lean-to vestsry with simple trefoil-arched windows. Immediately west of it an enclosed passage linking the church to the church hall. Latter is a small rectangular building contemporary with the church; it has a chamfered plinth, 3 trefoil-headed windows on the north side, a segmental-headed window of 2 ogee- headed lights and a quatrefoil on each side, and a projecting chimneystack with off-sets on the west side.
Interior: nave has 4 pointed, double-chamfered arches on octagonal columns at each side. Similar chancel arch spanned by wooden rood beam with gilt inscription, "by thy cross and passion good lord deliver us", and crucifix with pair of attendant figures. On either side of chancel a flamboyant ogee-headed niche, one of them probably a piscina. Across east wall of chancel, below the window, mosaics by Salviati. Painted wood ceiling in chancel.
Fittings: octagonal limestone font with Gothic side-panels and black marble shaft of quatrefoil section. Rear gallery with cast-iron winding staircase. 4 branched gilded metal candlesticks attached to nave piers. Gilded metal pulpit with open scrolled tracery. Gates and screen across chancel arch, also of gilded metal with open scroll-work below a rectangular grille. On north wall of chancel a set of painted and gilden organ pipes, the underside carved and painted with figures of angels. Ornately carved Gothic altar piece by Charles Francis Hansom (added after 1853).
Sources: L Tregoning, Bovey Tracey, 1983, p. 44
Listing NGR: SX8131077775
© Mr M J Medley. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Medley, M J
Rights Holder: Medley, M J
Rubble, Stone, Tile, Victorian Church Hall, Civil, Meeting Hall, Public Building, Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.