This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SY 4699/4799 NETHERBURY TOWER HILL 11-11-1966 10/165 St Mary's Church
Parish Church, C14 nave and aisles, with C14/15 chancel, C15 west tower. South porch rebuilt in 1848. Organ chamber and north vestry built in 1894. Rubble-stone and ashlar walls. Slate and lead roofs.
West Tower: 3 stages with an embattled parapet. West doorway: moulded jambs and 2-centred head. West window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a pointed head with a label. 2nd stage: windows with one trefoiled light. Bell-chamber has window with 2 trefoiled lights and tracery. Spiral staircase projects in south-east corner. Nave: south elevation, 4 bays, diagonally buttressed at corners, with 3 3-light cinquefoiled windows with panel tracery. Chancel: 2 bays, 2 C15 windows to south and a 4-light C15 west window. South doorway, of same date.
North aisle with C15 buttresses to C14 masonry, and C15 windows.
C14 east window of 3 trefoiled ogee lights in a square head. North doorway and window over, C20. South porch, in Perpendicular style, rebuilt.
Interior: Nave arcade of 4 bays, piers with responds and hollow chamfer in the diagonals, standing on tall bases. 2-centred arches with wave- sunk quadrant-wave mouldings. Roof, C19 renewal, through-purlin roof, arch braced, with short king-posts over. Ashlaring at wall-plate.
Chancel roof, similar, though with queen-struts above high collars.
Fittings: Font, Purbeck marble, square bowl with arched panels and simple foliage spanrels on top. Central, and four subsidiary shafts with moulded capping and base, late C12. Pulpit: c. 1630, 7-sided, with fluted Corinthian corners on corbelled-out lion-mask plinths.
2 tiers of decorated arcading (inlaid) to each panel, with egg-and- dart and rosette ornament. Upper, middle and lower rails with various ornaments. Fluted trumpet base and short stem. More Monument, south aisle, late as, canopied tomb of alabaster. Tomb Chest has 6 bays, each with angel holding a blank shield under an ogee crocketted arch.
Alabaster effigy in plate-armour, head on helm, remains of beast at feet. Parts of arms and legs broker; Stone canopy with embattled side-shafts, septfoiled and sub-cusped 4-centred arch in straight head. Wall-monuments: to Peter Brice, vicar, 1740 (chancel). To H. Saunders MA., vicar, 1673, stone and marble tablet with Ionic side columns, entablature, cresting and achievement-of-arms. To Robert Conway, 1837, marble tablet in stone frame with cornice.
(See R.C.H.M. for fuller list). Piscina: south aisle, with moulded jambs, trefoiled head and round drain, C13.
Source: R.C.H.M. Dorset I, p 170(1).
Listing NGR: SY4703099464
Copyright IoE Mr Ken Venton-Prentice. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Venton-Prentice, Ken
Rights Holder: Venton-Prentice, Ken
Ashlar, Lead, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Tomb, Funerary Site, Effigy, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Wall Monument, Coat Of Arms