This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CORSCOMBE TOLLER WHELME ST 50 SW 5/226 St John's Church GV II
Church. 1869-71 by Warr. Paid for by the Pope family of Toller Whelme.
South-West Tower-porch. Nave. Chancel. Rubble-stone walls, with a chamfered stone plinth. Slate roofs with stone gable-copings. 2 gable- crosses, at nave and chancel. Tower, with stone quoins, of 2 stages with string, cornice and crenellated parapet. South doorway: pointed arch with a continuous moulding. Label over with foliage-stops. 2-leaf wooden door. Cusped lancet to ground, and lancet to upper level. Nave: 2 windows with trefoil-cusped lancet and quirked straight-chamfered jambs.
Chancel: East window with 3 main trefoil-cusped lights, with quatrefoil tracery in the head. Labels with square stops. Interior: aisleless nave with single rafter roof, with plank ceiling. Wooden quatrefoil wall- plate. Chancel-arch with 2 bracket mouldings and a sunk quadrant between.
Pyramidal bases. Small north vestry with a pointed doorhead. Fittings: Font: small octagonal stone bowl and stem with sunk quatrefoils in each face.
Panelled stem. Metal bowl inside. Small metal canopy with cross over.
Pulpit: wooden with chamfered corners, 4 wooden steps up and handrails.
Lancet panels. Stained Glass: East window, Crucifixion, 1868, inscription.
Brass plate below window refers to building of the church.
Source: N Pevsner, Dorset, p426.
Listing NGR: ST5167301540
Copyright IoE Mr Ken Venton-Prentice. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Venton-Prentice, Ken
Rights Holder: Venton-Prentice, Ken
Rubble, Slate, Stone, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument