Swan And Mitre Public House / The Swanpool Tavern

Date:
27 Jul 2001
Location:
Swan And Mitre Public House, Lichfield Road, Birmingham, West Midlands, B6 7ST
Show all locations
The Swanpool Tavern, Lichfield Road, Birmingham, West Midlands, B6 7ST
Reference:
IOE01/00017/26
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

BIRMINGHAM LICHFIELD ROAD SP 08 NE Swan and Mitre Public House 7/10002 II GV Public house. 1898-9 by James and Lister Lea for the Holt Brewery Company. Red brick and terracotta (terracotta probably from Hathern Station Brick and Terrcotta Company of Loughborough). Slate roof with gabled ends. Brick axial and gable end stacks.

Plan: Situated on corner site with corner and front entrances to the bars and end entrances to the smoke room at the back and stairs.

Dutch Renaissance style.

Exterior: 2 storeys. 2:1:2 bay Lichfield Road elevation and 2:1:2 bay right hand return to Holborn Hill with canted corner carrying oriel with wooden cupola above with ogee dome with tall spike finial. The 2-window bays break forward and have shaped gables. The ornate terracotta ground floor has large moulded elliptically arched windows with keystones, rooks, shafts and balustered wooden mullions; the narrower doorways are similarly detailed but with round arches; roundels above the doors and spandrels above window arches with an entablature above that which continues around the corner oriel, the soffit of which has terracotta foliage decoration. Paved first floor windows have ornate terracotta pediments with swagged console brackets. Windows have leaded panes with some stained glass. Panelled doors with semi-circular fanlights. The right hand 2 bays of Holborn Hill elevation forms plain red brick rear wing.

Interior: The bars have Jacobean style wooden bar backs and bar fronts with fluted pilasters, arched mirrors and clocks above. The smoke-room has an imported wooden chimneypiece with bulbous colonettes flanking the overmantel mirror.The passage and stairs have tiled walls and the staircase has turned newels and balusters.

Note: Formerly known as The Swanpool Tavern.

Source: A Crawford, M Dunn and R Thorne, Birmingham pubs 1880-1939.



Listing NGR: SP0884389562

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Dowling_Geoff IOE Records for Dowling, Geoff; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Geoff Dowling. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Dowling, Geoff

Rights Holder: Dowling, Geoff

Keywords

Brick, Slate, Terracotta, Victorian Public House, Commercial, Licensed Premises, Eating And Drinking Establishment, Recreational