This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CUDDINGTON C.P. MILL LANE SJ 57 SE (West Side) 3/25 The Old Mill House 3/1/1967
Formerly miller's house, now house: earlier C18 but raised, extended and remodelled mid Cl9. Pebble dashed brick, graduated Welsh slate roof, stone ridge, 2 gable and a ridge brick chimney. Developed from single-pile plan to surround 3 sides of a courtyard. 3-storey symmetrical 3-bay south front. Simple cornice and stone plinth. End bays have 12-pane sashes, those in ground storey in moulded wooden cases which break the plinth. Top storey has gabled half dormers with shaped bargeboards and containing multipaned sashes with a toplight. The central bay has door with marginal half lights and a flat hood on plain brackets and similar windows above L-shaped washed brick extensions to rear. Loose carved stone reads JB 1703 SO 1727 but this may come from the now demolished mill.
Interior: entry into central hall with moulded ceiling beams and cornice. Niche to right held organ when room used for services. 6 flat panelled doors, one in coved basket-arched recess. Room to left has roundels in the border and on beams, plaster wall panels, panelled shutters and an imported Neo-Classical fireplace. Simpler detailing in the room to right. To rear is good staircase of turned column balusters and turned newels.
Listing NGR: SJ5961572097
Copyright IoE Mr R.G. Noxon. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Noxon, R.G.
Rights Holder: Noxon, R.G.
Brick, Pebbledash, Stone, Welsh Slate, Stuart Mill House, Georgian Domestic, Industrial House, House, Dwelling, Industrial, Monument <By Form>