This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HARTFORD C.P. SCHOOL LANE SJ 67 SW (East Side) 4/40 The Hollies - - II
House: early C18 origins but extended and remodelled c.1840. Flemish bond red brick with some yellow headers. Welsh slate roof and 2 brick chimneys. L-shaped plan. 2-storey, 4-bay west front. 3 bays have a cast-iron verandah with quatrefoil detailing and a continuous railing with a central gateway. Central 2 bays have pairs of deep casement doors. Tripartite windows in right end bay and 12-pane sashes elsewhere both with wedged stone lintels and sills. South front has 2 cross iron windows with rectangular leaded glazing, and north front has early C18 brickwork.
Interior: entry into long passage with simple staircase of plain balusters, mahogany handrail and bracketted open string. Simple moulded doorcases and 4-panelled doors have added plate racks. 3 rooms to garden front of which the central is of most interest.
Panelled dado with art nouveau style foliage on the panels. Late C19 classical frieze of medallions, cherubs and scrollwork. Doorcases and fireplace have added classical pediments. Panelled shutters to long casements. Late C18/early C19 cast-iron range in scullery.
Listing NGR: SJ6421371875
Copyright IoE Mr R.G. Noxon. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Noxon, R.G.
Rights Holder: Noxon, R.G.
Brick, Welsh Slate, Stuart House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Gate, Unassigned, Railings, Barrier