This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HARTFORD BRADBURNS LANE SJ 67 SW Kindergarten building at Grange School 1650-0/4/10000 II
Detached Kindergarten building. 1938-39. By J L Martin and S Speight. Timber framing with light cladding to exterior and interior; bituminous roof on boarding. Single storey, 7 bays. 3 main classrooms and 1 smaller classroom (set back) beneath a south-facing veranda; kitchen, corridors and lavatories within parallel range to rear; open porch at east end.
South elevation: 8 wooden posts and exposed purlins carry the main roof over the veranda. The 3 main classrooms each occupy 2 bays.
Rendered plinth wall to continuous glazing; each bay with a pair of 3-light windows comprising of centre-pivoted iron casements to one side of horizontally-sliding sashes (now fixed). Bay 7 is further recessed and has side door on left of classroom windows as rest.
Weatherboarding above the windows and to soffit; wooden fascia board with felted cap; single-pitched roof slopes to rear.
Right return: panelled end. Rear range has lower roof with projection on open wooden framework forming the porch; main entrance within.
A light economical structure that has proved durable; in expression it foreshadows the post-war system built CLASP primary schools.
Pevsner noted the building as an "early Martin." J L (later Prof Sir Leslie) Martin is perhaps best known for co-designing the Royal Festival Hall (1951).
Listing NGR: SJ6381872412
Copyright IoE Mr R.G. Noxon. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Noxon, R.G.
Rights Holder: Noxon, R.G.
Bitumen, Timber, 20th Century Timber Framed Building, Monument <By Form>, Nursery School, Education, Elementary School, School