This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HARTFORD C.P. CHESTER ROAD SJ 67 SW (South side) 4/36 Church of St.John - - II
Church: dated 1875, and tower added 1887-9, both by John Douglas.
Dressed coursed buff sandstone with red sandstone dressings. Red tile roof. 5-bay nave and aisles. 2-bay chancel with vestry to the south and chapel to north, south and north porches and 4-stage west tower.
Timber-framed south porch on stone base has panelled bargeboards, toothed tiebeam and chevron work in the gable. Bays of the aisle are divided by buttresses and have pairs of double or triple, trefoil or cinquefoil headed lancets. Clerestorey has 9 lancet windows regularly placed under a continuous label mould. Similar windows and Caernarvon arched doorways to vestry. East end has a giant arch on raking pilasters which contains a triple lancet with minimal tracery, the lights divided by chamfered pilasters with stopped heads. North side is identical to the south. The tower has heavy clasping pilasters, one of which contains a stair turret and rises above the top of the tower. 3-light west window with sexfoil panel. 2nd stage has some partially blind arcading, a clock in the 3rd and a pair of trefoil headed louvred bell openings in the top stages. These have triangular hoods with ball flower finials. Embattled parapet on corbels.
Interior:- of rubble stone with ashlar dressings. 5-bay arcade of chamfered arches on alternate circular and octagonal piers. The pairs of aisle windows have splayed reveals and pointed heads and a colonnette between the pair. Splayed reveals to clerestorey windows.
Wagon roof to nave. Simple tower arch carried on corbels has a wooden Gothic screen with drop tracery. Double chancel arch on short colonnettes. Chancel has a pair of unequal arches on an octagonal pier to the north chapel and a more unequal pair on the south side contains the organ and access to the vestry. Plaster and wooden reredos of the Last Supper, in a Gothic gilded setting. Panelled roof to the chancel.
Listing NGR: SJ6378872224
© Mr R.G. Noxon. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Noxon, R.G.
Rights Holder: Noxon, R.G.
Rubble, Sandstone, Stone, Tile, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Tower, Unassigned, Building
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.