This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS4526 HIGH STREET 842-1/5/104 (South side) Nos.13, 14 AND 15
House or possibly a row of houses, now converted to shop. Early C17, wholly remodelled in early or mid C19; later additions at rear. Solid rendered walls. Slate roof. 1 small, late C20 cream-brick chimney on ridge. 3 storeys; 4-window range. Ground and second storeys divided into 3 irregular bays by panelled pilasters with fluted Doric capitals; these support an entablature which breaks forward over the end-pilasters and the middle bay. Raised panel on frieze of latter. Third storey has rusticated quoins and window-arches, and is finished with a moulded cornice. Late C20 display windows in ground storey. 6-paned sashes in second and third storeys, except that in the third storey the upper sashes have only 3 panes. Right-hand second-storey sashes are later replacements with horns. INTERIOR inspected in ground storey only. This has been gutted and wholly altered to make a large shop, but in the right side-wall is a plaster overmantel dated 1628. According to WH Rogers it was found behind panelling on the second floor at No 15. (Rogers WH: Notes on Bideford (typescript): P.77).
Listing NGR: SS4534726567
Copyright IoE Mr Tim Sanders. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Sanders, Tim
Rights Holder: Sanders, Tim
Render, Slate, Tudor House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Stuart Domestic, Jacobean Dwelling, Shop, Commercial, Row, Multiple Dwelling