This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
The following building shall be added:- LEIGHTON ROAD TQ 17NE (north side) 5/99 The Forester PH II Public house. 1909 by Thomas Henry Nowell Parr for the Royal Brewery, Brentford. Rendered brick with granite plinth; gabled plain tile roof; corniced brick stacks. Domestic Revival style. 2 storeys, with 3-bay elevations to both Leighton Road and Seaford Road. Continuous ground-floor frontage, set on granite plinth and divided by piers with green tile facings, is linked by decorative iron railings surmounting dentilled cornice and plain fascia; original half-glazed doors set behind rounded open porch with Tuscan columns to corner, and two segmental-pedimented porches with Tuscan columns to Leighton Road; bracketed pediment over half-glazed door to public bar in centre of Seaford Road elevation; Tripartite wood-mullioned and transomed windows with 4-centred arches to lower lights and stained glass to upper lights. First floor has gauged red brick cambered arches over 3-light sashes flanked by shutters; two outer bays to Leighton Road have similar sashes to bow windows set beneath carved brackets supporting projecting gables with dentilled cornices continued round to Seaford Road elevation which has similar gable set over cornice and recessed first-floor bay. Left-hand return has conservatory to front of projecting bay with French window and flanking windows with glazing bars and stained glass upper lights. Interior: complete pub interior, with public bar to right of large saloon bar which opens onto restaurant to rear. Beamed ceilings; panelled dados; neo-Georgian fireplaces; mahogany bar counter and fittings with pilasters framing mirrors; Tudor-arched doors, with pedimented screens to saloon; saloon bar has panelled bar partitions; public bar has benches set against wall with turned balusters. The Forester is the most celebrated of Nowell Parr's pub designs, which formed a transition between the ornate pubs of the 1890s, divided into compartments, and the move restrained neo-Georgian and Tudor open-plan pubs of the inter-war period.
(The Graphic, April 3 1909)
Listing NGR: TQ1665679914
Copyright IoE Mr Quiller Barrett. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Barrett, Quiller
Rights Holder: Barrett, Quiller
Brick, Granite, Tile, Victorian Public House, Commercial, Licensed Premises, Eating And Drinking Establishment, Recreational