This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
The following building shall be added:
GREAT WEST ROAD, BRENTFORD TQ 1677 787-/19/10004 The National Westminster Bank GV II
Bank. 1935 by WFC Holden as the Osterley branch of the National Provincial Bank. Brown brick with Portland stone dressings. Flat roof.
Single storey. Double-height banking office, bow-fronted to Great West Road, flanked by lower wings, that to left with bow-fronted public entrance on the return. Expressionist style. Bowed facade to road has 3 tall ladder windows with margin glazing separated by columns with brick ribs which continue as moulded features in the stone-coped parapet. Groups of similar full-height ribs form straight angles with blind lower wings, each of which has a rainwater head and drainpipe linking the design to a low stone-coped continuous plinth. On return, bowed entrance with blind wings has central recessed doorway (later C20 doors), flanked by recessed margin glazed ladder windows; approached by bowed and shaped steps. Stone coped parapet and plinth.
Blind return of double-height office, with ribbed angles, rises behind. Interior fitted out to late C20 requirements but retains timber panelling to walls and piers. The bank was designed to form a group with Sir Bannister Fletcher's Gillette Factory.
Listing NGR: TQ1632577422
Copyright IoE Mr Quiller Barrett. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Barrett, Quiller
Rights Holder: Barrett, Quiller
Brick, 20th Century Bank (Financial), Commercial