This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LANGPORT CP CHEAPSIDE (North side) ST4126 10/102 The Town Hall 17.4.59 GV II
(Club on O.S Map). Town and market hall, 1732/33. Red brick, Flemish bond, with Ham stone ashlar and dressings; hipped pyramidal Welsh slate roof with timber bell turret. Two storeys, 3 bays. Open arcade to covered market below: all ashlar, with semi-circular arches having plinth, square columns and end piers, moulded imposts, keystoned arch architraves; across this a band course; then rusticated stone quoins to brickwork, with moulded stone eaves course; 12-pane sash windows in architraved surrounds with keystoned flat arches, and console bracketted cills; projecting clock from eaves above centre window; lead stackhead on right C19; ironwork grilles and gates to arches; inside, the undercroft has 2 central Doric stone columns, and the rear wall has corresponding arches with 2 pairs fielded panel gates and overthrows. First floor not seen. Erected on a loan from the Portreeve 1732, dated 1733 on the weathervane, a strong-room added and the kitchen improved 1836; after dissolution of the Corporation in 1886 the hall was used for local functions, and is now maintained by the Langport Town Trust (Club refers to temporary usage by the Royal British Legion, now located next door). (VCH, vol III, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST4194226789
Copyright IoE Mr Graham Slocombe. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Slocombe, Graham
Rights Holder: Slocombe, Graham
Ashlar, Brick, Ham Hill Stone, Stone, Timber, Welsh Slate, Stuart Town Hall, Georgian Civil, Meeting Hall, Public Building, Market Hall, Commercial, Market, Bell Tower, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Community Centre, British Legion Hall, Recreational, Recreational Hall