This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS4526 BRIDGELAND STREET 842-1/5/22 (North side) 19/03/73 No.2 (Formerly Listed as: BRIDGELAND STREET (North side) Nos.1A AND 2)
House, now 2 houses with shops; may originally have been part of a larger house including No 3. 1692, probably remodelled and No 3 divided off in 1806. Solid rendered front. Slate roof. Rendered chimney in centre of ridge. 2 storeys with garret; 4-window range. Ground storey has round-arched early C19 doorway to left; fluted pilasters supporting entablature, panelled reveals, half-glazed late C19 door. To right of it a C19 display window with fluted pilasters and cornice on paired brackets. At right-hand end a simple late C19 or early C20 shop front with half-glazed door. Second storey has box-framed sash windows with 6 over 6 panes. 2 hipped dormers with mid/late C20 wood casements. This is probably part of the new-built house leased in 1692 by the Bridge Feoffees to William Hopkins of Bideford, merchant. It was to have a 64ft frontage, considerably more than the present building. The building is reported to have been badly damaged by fire 'within living memory'. (Bideford Historic Buildings Survey, Notes).
Listing NGR: SS4547826822
Copyright IoE Mr Tim Sanders. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Sanders, Tim
Rights Holder: Sanders, Tim
Render, Slate, Stuart House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Shop, Commercial