This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CODSALL C.P. CHURCH ROAD SJ 80 SE (North West side)
8/123 Church of St. Nicholas 27.6.63
Parish Church. C12 S. doorway; C14 tower; the rest 1846-8 by E. Banks of Wolverhampton. Ashlar; clay tile roofs with fishscale bands, Single cell chancel; 5 bay nave; aisles; south porch; north vestry; West Tower with diagonal buttresses. West Tower: Early to mid C14; large west window of 3 lights with cusped intersecting tracery and plain hood-mould stopped with 2 large grotesque heads; strings at belfry level terminated on each face by grotesque heads; belfry openings of 2 lights with cinque- foil heads; crenellated parapet, restored with corner finials, South Elevation: bay divisions of aisle marked by stepped buttresses; all windows of aisle and chancel are of 2 cinquefoil headed lights with reticulated or flowing tracery above; returned hood moulds; gabled South porch with pointed outer doorway, to a reset South doorway with round head of 2 orders, both with chevron ornament and a fnliated hood mould, flanked by nook shafts with carved capitals; the chancel had an ogee headed door to left with ogee hand mould. Interior: octagonal piers with C14 style capitals to pointed nave arcade of 2 chamfered orders; tall pointed chancel arch; open timber roofs with scissor trusses in nave and aisles. Monument: Walter Wrottesley died 1630; recumbant effigy, 5 kneeling figures on sides of tomb chest.
Stained glass mainly C19.
Listing NGR: SJ8661804051
Copyright IoE Mr GW Tanner. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Tanner, Gw
Rights Holder: Tanner, Gw
Ashlar, Clay, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Chest Tomb, Tomb, Funerary Site, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative