This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CODSALL C.P. STATION ROAD SJ 80 SE
8/138 Codsall Railway Station and Fontbridge
Railway station and fontbridge. Railway Station: c1850.
Red brick with painted stone dressings; slate roof covered in roofing felt; brick stacks with moulded stone capping.
Italianate in the style of the Shrewsbury and Birmingham line, 1 and 2 storeys; 4 bays; irregular, 2 storey projecting gable with moulded wooden barge boards and finial; 2 storey bay set back to right with ground floor twin round headed arches, that on the right blocked, that to left with board door; 2 single storey bays set back to left, that to far left with pyramidal roof and finial and blocked round arch doorway; 2, 3 and 4 light round arch windows with plate glass sashes, lst floor on sill band, the rest with bracketed sills. Footbridge: dated 1883.
Cast iron, corrugated iron roof with painted barge boards and gable finials. 2 flights with central gangway over railway line; iron lattice guard; palmette capped columns to landings; G.W.R. emblem and date of 1883 at each end of central gangway. The Shrewsbury and Birmingham Railway opened in 1849 and was taken over by the Great Western Railway in 1854.
Listing NGR: SJ8644503299
Copyright IoE Mr GW Tanner. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Tanner, Gw
Rights Holder: Tanner, Gw
Brick, Cast Iron, Felt, Iron, Slate, Stone, Georgian Railway Station, Victorian Transport, Railway Transport Site, Footbridge, Pedestrian Transport Site, Bridge, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument