This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MUCHELNEY CP SILVER STREET (North side) ST42SW LOWER MUCHELNEY 8/231 Court House 17.4.59 GV II
House. Early C18, modified 1874 and 1918. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiled roof between coped gables; stone and yellow brick chimney stacks. Double roof plan, 2-storeys with attics, 3-bay west elevation. Buttresses between bays with gabled tops and offsets, eaves course; hollow chamfer mullioned windows in wave mould recesses, 4-light to outer lower bays, with separate labels, 3-light above without labels; pitched roof gabled dormers with 3-light leaded casements to each bay; to lower bay 2 cambered arched doorway with slit window to left and 2-light window without label to right, with string course over spanning between buttresses; left of bay 1 a single light window - this and all windows have rectangular leaded panes. South west gable has single and double-light, the latter with C15 tracery - south east gable represents the 1874 addition, incorporating many features from Muchelney Abbey (q.v), including panel and cambered arched doorway and further C15 windows, including 4-light mullioned window in east return with quatrefoil panels under. Interior has some modified cambered arched doorways, a pointed Gothick plaster vault in hall and good C19 fireplace in east room. North east section added by Ralph Fry, builder, in 1918.
House served as vicarage during C19. (VCH vol III, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST4280924429
Copyright IoE Mr Graham Slocombe. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Slocombe, Graham
Rights Holder: Slocombe, Graham
Brick, Ham Hill Stone, Lias, Stone, Tile, Stuart House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Vicarage, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling