This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LONG SUTTON CP LANGPORT ROAD (South side) ST4625 12/177 Court House 17.4.59 GV II*
Detached house. C14 origins, C15 and C17 work, restored 1932. Local lias stone roughtly cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; clay pantiled roof over stone slate base courses between coped gables, gabletted finials to north and west; stone chimney stacks. 'T' plan with additions. south east elevation of 2 storeys, 5 bays, with single-storey projecting porch to bay 3. Hollow chamfer mullioned windows with 4-centre arched light, some leaded, mostly with square labels; bay 1 has 3-lights to both levels, bay 2 has 2-light windows; upper bay 3 is 3-light set higher; bay 4 has a 2-light above, the window below now blocked; lower bay 5 has a 3-light small pane casement window of earlier C20: the porch, probably C17, has a coped gable with gabletted finial, and an open semi-circular headed archway with moulded imposts, keystone and semi-circular label, a C15 board and strip door being set inside in a cambered arched doorway. The north west elevation has a projecting 2-storey porch in centre with angled corner buttresses, but the doorway is now blocked, although a pointed relieving arch remains; above is a 2-light mullioned window; another mullioned window lower bay 1, a projecting chimney breast with plain gable bay 2; other windows are C18 type leaded casements with iron opening lights.
The north east elevation has a 4-light mullioned window at first floor level, with squared label stepped over a small plaque inscribed "Thomas Spigurnell, Gent, 1658", and a matching 2-light window above. The south east elevation has a C20 French door and a casement with iron opening lights, under an old timber lintol/frame member, and right of these an early casement of 7 lights, with square uprights close together, set diagonally; at first floor level a small stair light and a blocked attic window in gable. Inside, the house of two distinct halves; the southern apparently always 2-storyed, the south east wall possibly timber framed; central cross passage, with timber doorway into north west porch, south east doorway blocked by C17 staircase-probably Spigurnell in 1658: the northern half the Hall proper, itself now with inserted floor; below a room with square-headed moulded fireplace in north west wall; in chamber above an open smoke-blackened roof, part repaired; 3 main bays divided by arched-braced collar-bear trusses with raised base-cruck principals, with intermediate braced crown-post trusses, curved windbraces; at southern end a plank and muntin partition at high level screening remainder of roof, and in north west wall two cambered arched fireplaces and alongside, into room over porch, a framed boarded door possibly C16; this room has curved collar truss roof of 2 bays, internal iron bars to its 2-light window; in passage above through passage a moulded boarded partition with 9-panel floor, probably C17. Representing the farm house of the Sutton St. Cleers Manor, there appears to be no direct evidence for the name Court House; badly deteriorated, it was restored by the Clark family, the shoe-makers of Street, and vested in a Quaker Trust in 1932 (VCH Vol III, 1974; VAG Report, SRO Unpublished, 1976).
Listing NGR: ST4667925972
Copyright IoE Mr Graham Slocombe. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Slocombe, Graham
Rights Holder: Slocombe, Graham
Ham Hill Stone, Lias, Pantile, Stone, Timber, Medieval Farmhouse, Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Base Cruck House, Monument <By Form>, Cruck House, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building, Cross Passage House, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Detached House, Open Hall House, Hall House