This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
PARK TOWN ESTATE SW8 1.
5033 Church of St Philip (Queenstown Road) TQ 2876 8/4 II GV 2.
1869 by J T Knowles (later Sir James Knowles).
The church is of Kentish rag in early and later Middle-Pointed style. It has nave and aisles, transepts and apsidal chancel and a low tower at the liturgical south- west. There was to have been a tall spire.
The tower has angle buttresses with turrets and at the high bell stage lofty traceried openings.
The 6-bay north aisle has stepped buttresses to the piers between the windows and a parapet above of blind arcading.
The south aisle is similar but of 4-bays only, with a gable south porch having clasping buttresses.
The south transept has angle buttresses, a 2-lancet window and a rose window above.
The north transept also has a 2-light window.
The 7-bay apsidal chancel has stepped buttresses and continues the line of the parapet of blind arcading.
The interior is reminiscent of Gilbert Scott's work, with lavishly carved foliage and apse with geometrical tracery. The east windows are 1954, by T D Randall of Faithcraft.
Listing NGR: TQ2866676244
Copyright IoE Mr Christopher Strevens. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Strevens, Christopher
Rights Holder: Strevens, Christopher
Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship