This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BATTERSEA RISE SWll 1.
5033 TQ 2775 9/8 28.6.54 Church of St Mark II the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows: Anglican church. 1872-4 by William White. Stock brick with red brick dressings and diaper over mass concrete core, tiled roof. Four-bay nave with north aisles, tower at south-west corner supporting wooden belfy and shingled broad-eaved broach spire; raised chancel and ambulatory over crypt. Gabled south porch leads into diminutive south transept.
Internally, the four-bay nave arcade does not follow the pattern of the more regularly-spaced clerestorey above. Concrete piers with naturalistic stone-carved capitals by Harry Hems.
Aisled windows, one with fragmentary stained glass, have marble sills. Chancel with apsidal sanctuary set within round brick piers of ambulatory. The spandrels of the ambulatory arcade gilded and painted with emblems. Tiled floor inset with panels by J R Clayton; choir stalls, pulpit and font (raised on tiled and stone stepped plinth) to White's designs. Altar on stone plinth behind low brass rails.
At the east end the ambulatory descends to crypt, with octagonal brick piers and lierne brick vaults.
BATTERSEA RISE SW11 1.
5033 Church of St Mark TQ 2775 9/8 28.6.54 II 2.
1873 to 76 William White. 13th Century Gothic-style. Yellow brick with red brick dressings and diaper.
Tower at south-west, integral with west elevation, rises to corbelled upper stage supporting wooden belfry and shingled broad-eaved broach spire. Gabled south porch Interior: nave, north aisle, south transept, apsidal sanctuary with ambulatory.
Sanctuary tiles by J R Clayton. Font of Devon marble.
Listing NGR: TQ2721475088
© Mr Christopher Strevens. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Strevens, Christopher
Rights Holder: Strevens, Christopher
Brick, Concrete, Tile, Wood, Victorian Anglican Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.