This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST3308 FORE STREET 756-1/4/57 (North side) 29/07/76 No.5
Hotel, now 2 shops with dental surgery above. 1834, with later alterations. Ham Hill stone shop front, stucco 1st and 2nd floors; Cornish slate roof with stone copings; brick stacks. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys; 4-window range. C20 shop front. 1st and 2nd floors have 2/2-pane sashes in flat arch frames with keystones dying into platbands. Box gutter in brackets; stack to left gable end and ridge stack to right of centre; stepped copings to gable ends and a medieval stone carved finial to right gable. INTERIOR: C20 shop and 1st floor. Staircase from 2nd to 3rd floor at rear left corner, set in an oval hall with round-arched sash window, is open-well, open-string with plain balusters and swept mahogany rail. On the 3rd floor a passage with 2 round arches runs centrally, parallel to the front and some early C19 fireplaces still remain. HISTORY: built as the Crown Hotel in 1834.
Listing NGR: ST3214008615
Copyright IoE Mr Richard Bland. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bland, Richard
Rights Holder: Bland, Richard
Lias, Slate, Stucco, Georgian Hostel, Victorian Commercial, Domestic, Residential Building, Shop, Surgery, Health And Welfare