Wesleyan Methodist Church And Attached Walls And Railings / Wesleyan Methodist Church

Date:
1 Sep 1999
Location:
Wesleyan Methodist Church And Attached Walls And Railings, Fore Street, Chard Town, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20 1QA
Show all locations
Wesleyan Methodist Church, Fore Street, Chard Town, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20 1QA
Reference:
IOE01/00033/28
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

CHARD

ST3308 FORE STREET 756-1/4/82 (South side) 29/07/76 Wesleyan Methodist Church and attached walls and railings (Formerly Listed as: FORE STREET (South side) Wesleyan Methodist Church)

GV II

Church. 1895 by R Curwen. Flemish bond brick with stone bands and Bath stone dressings; weatherboarding to clerestory; crested slate roof. PLAN: chapel with gable facing street to north and canted sanctuary end; Sunday School and offices to rear. Geometrical Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: symmetrical facade is dominated by full-height coloured glass window in Decorated style set in gable end which has hexagonal quoins supported on corbels at ground-floor door height. Double doors to each side in set-forward gabled porches with pointed arches and quatrefoil tympana; backing on to gable cross wings with 2-light trefoiled windows with cinquefoil plate under pointed-arch hoodmould. To rear of these, east and west elevations have coloured leaded 3-light windows with stone mullions and trefoil heads to aisles and similar wooden ones to clerestory.

INTERIOR: pointed arch on foliate capitals and engaged shafts to canted apse, which has continuous wooden pointed-arched clerestory lights with moulded capitals and bases to columns fronting trefoil-headed lights with coloured glass. Nave has timber arcade joists supporting shallow-arched bracing to 4-bay arcade with quatrefoil frieze surmounting similar pointed arched clerestory, each bay having coloured glass to three 3-light trefoil-headed windows to centre; bay adjoining sanctuary has arcades brought forward with pointed-arched spandrels and stone corbels. 5-bay arch-braced roof with 2-centred arches to bay flanking rebuilt gallery; aisle lean-to roofs have corbels supporting timber knees. Coloured glass with same Art Nouveau patterns to all windows. FITTINGS include organ, wrought-iron sanctuary rail, fine Gothic-style pulpit and benches with quatrefoil pierced dado rail. To rear of chapel is entrance hall with turned baluster staircase and schoolroom with plank dado, gallery and mock hammer-beam roof. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: walls and railings to front. (Pevsner N: Buildings of England: South Somerset: London: 1958-: P.118).

Listing NGR: ST3238608582

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Bland_Richard IOE Records for Bland, Richard; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Richard Bland. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Bland, Richard

Rights Holder: Bland, Richard

Keywords

Bath Stone, Brick, Slate, Stone, Weatherboard, Victorian Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Sunday School, Education, School, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Methodist Chapel, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Office, Unassigned, Building, Railings